The Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS) is delighted to announce the candidates for the 2017 AIMS Best Marathon Runner (BMR) Award. The winners will be announced and presented with their awards during the AIMS Best Marathon Runner Awards Gala in Athens, Greece on the night of Friday 10 November 2017.
The candidates are (in male and female categories, each in alphabetical order):
Eliud KIPCHOGE (KEN)
- Won the BMW Berlin Marathon, Germany, in a world-leading time of 2:03:32
- Ran 2:00:25 in an 'assisted' time trial on 6 May in Monza, Italy
Geoffrey KIRUI (KEN)
- Won the 2017 IAAF World Championships Marathon in London, Great Britain & N.I., in 2:08:27
Rose CHELIMO (BRN)
- Won the 2017 IAAF World Championships Marathon in London, Great Britain & N.I., in 2:27:11
Mary KEITANY (KEN)
- Won the London Marathon, Great Britain & N.I. setting a new women-only world record of 2:17:01
Candidates will be voted for by full members of AIMS. The winners in both male and female categories will be declared and awarded at the AIMS Gala in Athens on 10 November 2017.
In addition to the BMR Awards, races who have displayed best practice in environmental and social policies will be presented with the AIMS Green Award and the AIMS Social Award respectively. A legend of distance running will also receive the AIMS Lifetime Achievement Award. The nominees and winners of each award will be confirmed closer to the event.
About the AIMS Best Marathon Runner Award Gala
The purpose of the BMR Award Gala is to:
I. Announce and honour the best male and female Marathon runners of the year through the AIMS BEST MARATHON RUNNER (BMR) Award.
II. Recognise and honour exceptional Marathon figureheads and personalities for their contribution to the development of the Marathon movement.
III. Publicise and promote the best practice and initiatives of AIMS members (435+ race organisers) through the establishment of special environmental and social awards.
IV. Enhance the role, programs and services of AIMS.
The event will be staged in Athens, Greece on Friday 10 November 2017